College News

Board of Trustees Meeting - 31 August 2016

Picture of Bailey Pellow
Board of Trustees Meeting - 31 August 2016
by Bailey Pellow - Friday, 2 September 2016, 10:10 AM

Kiaora Koutou.

This months meeting was an interesting one, to all accounts.

We had a presentation from the Mount Maunganui College Enviro Group, regarding their efforts in improving the sustainability of our college. This I found intriguing because they talked of their experiences at Tuhoe, Te Kura Whare, and how the Sustainable Building Challenge has inspired them to find ways we can make Mount Maunganui College more eco-friendly, and raise awareness of the issues we as a society face going into the automated age where we will begin to find that our world is quickly becoming polluted.
I particularly enjoyed hearing about the seven performance areas of a sustainable buildings. These are: site, water, materials, health, energy, equity and beauty. These principles are designed to incorporate the natural practicality and beauty of our native flora and fauna. If you would like to read more about Tuhoe, and the Sustainable Building Challenge, visit their website: http://living-future.org/lbc

I find it extremely exciting that our Whakairo, our unique monument, is but weeks away from being blessed and opened. This will be a fantastic addition to our school in terms of embracing our cultural identity and heritage, both of which extremely rich and valuable.

One thing we, as students, have definitely noticed, are the big steel poles between B block and the library. These are there to support the new covered seating area, which is a PTA/PSG funded venture. 

Obviously, we've just had exams. As a year eleven student, this was a daunting prospect. However, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining and I did particularly enjoy going home at 12pm every day and being a couch potato!

Because I am aware that this is likely my last report before the election, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who voted for me last year, and gave me the opportunity to represent the student body on the Board of Trustees. I have loved every single minute, and it truly fills me with immense pride to know that I have had some contribution to the extensive development and growth our school has experienced over the past year.

I truly love our school and I want whoever succeeds in the election to hold that same passion for our school

Bear in mind that when you do vote, I implore each and every one of you to vote for who you think would be best to represent your thoughts, views and opinions on our schools Board of Trustees. There is nothing more important than student opinion in a school, and it is essential that that opinion is delivered to the governing body. So please, vote for who you think best represents you.

This year has been a fun one, full of emotions, and my goodness has it gone fast!

If I do not win in the election, I wish everyone all the very best in all of your endeavours.

Kindest of Regards,

Bailey Pellow