College News

Board of Trustees Meeting, 15/6/16

Picture of Bailey Pellow
Board of Trustees Meeting, 15/6/16
by Bailey Pellow - Friday, 24 June 2016, 2:35 PM

Good Afternoon all.

You may wonder why I have left it so long to report on last week's Board Meeting. This was because I wanted to wait until today, so that not only can we get the extra information that I have to impart onboard, but also give you something to celebrate about on the weekend. :)

Sit tight team, this article is going to be slightly longer.

If you do require any further information please do not hesitate to email me and I can provide it. No trouble whatsoever

Firstly, I'll start with a TL;DR section.

• Whakairo will be mounted at the front of the school, by the end of the term/the start of term three. This is a fantastic cultural work that I'm sure will be appreciated for years to come.
  • New Rose garden covered seating area. This is a covered seating area intended to replace the current rose garden between B Block and the Library. It will provide a lot of students a better place to sit than the grass. It has been funded and developed by the Parent Support Group, who have done a fantastic job. Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA on this.
  • C7, C8, C9 Refurbishment
  • Tauranga City Council Youth Engagement Plan. This will be outlined in greater detail further on in this report
  • Instep Young Leaders Communication Plan Workshop. Also outlined in greater detail below.

This year, as you will be aware, our school has been working towards a Māori Whakairo, to replace the previous brick wall and Mount Maunganui College lettering, which disappeared a couple of months ago. This Whakairo will have a big Pou in the middle, and two Waka. The Waka will be facing towards the Pou, in the middle. This is just another way that our school is embracing the cultural heritage and significant impact that Māori culture has had on Mount Maunganui College. I'm sure that we will still be enjoying this for years to come.

Furthermore to this, the Parent Support Group has been working hard to fundraise for a new Rose Garden to be between B block and the library, to provide students somewhere to sit. Unfortunately I do not have an ETA on this, but rest assured it is coming! This will feature a large shadesail over a paved seating area. Students will be able to use this space to sit and eat their lunch with their mates. A great addition to a school that is only getting better!

C7, C8 and C9 are getting an upgrade! They will have a covered in deck area running along the front, and be modified to be brought up to the standard of the new D block and the new technology buildings, as well as A block. This will be a welcome addition to the Mount Maunganui College learning environment and we will all reap the benefits.

A short while ago, I went to the council chambers, along with our school's EnviroGroup, who made a separate presentation to council, which I won't spoil - that's their baby :) - to listen to the presentation to council of the 'Youth Engagement Plan'. This plan hopes to hear from all youth, through purposeful, respectful interactions where their feedback is actually considered and responded to with meaningful outcomes. It will mean that council is made more available for youths that are interested in local body politics, or their city in general, to come and interact with councillors and really find out what goes on in the background of Tauranga City. They hope to do this through a range of respectful mediums, with a careful emphasis on not patronising young adults, including Social media, coming into schools and holding focus groups, and addressing assemblies about the information that they need. This will be a great plan once it is further developed upon, as it is in it's early stages. More information can be found here.

Now, to continue to the part that held me up. Yesterday I had the privilege of attending the PriorityOne Instep breakfast at Western Bay of Plenty city council. I was joined by fellow Instep members, Annabelle Stewart and Louis Donovan. We worked towards developing an effective communication plan for Mount Maunganui College, and once this is finished we will reveal it both on moodle and other mediums. This will be finished within two weeks of starting Term 3. Through this communication plan, we will be transmitting all of the information we learn at Instep and relaying that back to the student body, for your perusal.

Aware that this is my last report (possibly) for this term, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a safe and happy two week break, you've earned it. A very busy term for a very busy school.

Kind Regards,

Bailey Pellow

Board of Trustees Student Representative

Mount Maunganui College